Monday, March 18, 2013

Speak Up Right Away

One thing I have always appreciated about my husband in the six years since we first met, is that if there is anything on my mind, I can always feel free to bring it up. And if there is anything on his mind, I know he will bring it up. In this way, we avoid the quiet reservations that lead to resentments many other couples experience. Sometimes, this straightforward communication is uncomfortable. Sometimes it is inconvenient. But then we consider the alternative and we speak up. The alternative is that what was small becomes big. What was minor becomes completely out of hand. What was just something to be brought up in passing, becomes something that cannot be discussed without the presence of a therapist. Recently, something bothered me. I brought it up right away before it became a big deal. This is how we roll. I love this about us. I wouldn't have it any other way. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment