Saturday, September 20, 2014

Renew Your Vows Periodically

Five years ago, on September 19,2009, my husband and I got married. Yesterday evening, to mark the anniversary, we renewed our vows in a small ceremony with family and friends. It was so wonderful, to say those words again, "in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, until death parts us...." We talked about our rings as "symbols for those feelings and emotions so great that they defy our human ability or expression." We vowed first of all to God, and second of all to each other to have a love that stands the test of time. We even sang a duet together publicly for the first time, that in the past we have only sung to each other privately, during romantic interludes. It was a powerful moment to share with our guests. Later, after the ceremony followed by a dinner party, my wonderful husband did something not so wonderful. My response? I jokingly told him that despite his annoying me, I will still "keep" him! But I warned him, jokingly that although I am not planning to trade him in for another husband, he needs to know "I still have my receipt!" Ha ha ha. I went on to say how much I paid for him. I said "One husband, 12 million dollars." I deliberately made him cost a fortune to underscore how valuable a great husband is. He is so funny. He thanked me for not trading him in. Then we made love. We have discussed it and decided to renew our vows every five years. I got the idea to renew our vows from the best couple I have ever known, my still happily married parents. It has worked well for them to renew every few years, so we are following their example.

No comments:

Post a Comment