Monday, May 10, 2010

Don't Forget How Rough It Is Out There

This evening, I had an appointment with my hairdresser at her salon. While I was under the dryer, all of a sudden, I thought of John Jessop, if that is his real name. Let me explain. Several years ago, I had an exciting love affair with someone named Alister, who lived in the United Kingdom. We met through mutual friends. I abruptly broke up with him after just 4 months, as was my restless norm for years. I had one short relationship after another. Anyway, I after that relationship ended, I craved and missed the excitement of dating someone from overseas. So I changed the settings in my match.com account to be matched specifically with men from the U.K. One of them, who told me his name was John Jessop, charmed me over e-mails and, in time, phone calls. One thing led to another and he decided to come to New York just to meet and go out with me. I did not want him to get the wrong idea, so I reserved a hotel room for him, rather than invite a stranger to my home. But he was even more charming in person than he was over the internet and phone. Long story short, after I allowed myself to be seduced by him, he acted distant and just dreadful. So when he suddenly came to my mind today, I thought to myself how grateful I am to no longer be out in the dating world. It is rough out there. I am glad that Rueben and I met and fell in love and I no longer need to worry about the John Jessops in the world who act one way to get in your pants, then act in the opposite manner once they have succeeded to get what they are after. I think it is important to never forget what it is like to look for love in all the wrong places, so that I will cherish and treasure what I have in my marriage.

No comments:

Post a Comment