Sunday, May 16, 2010

Speak Up

This morning, over breakfast, Rueben and I were discussing our day. We would go to church together, go to a farewell brunch with our dear friend who is relocating soon, then he would go and meet with clients and be home at 6 p.m. I would prepare dinner. Lemon pepper wings. Meanwhile, I would spend time with one of my girlfriends, do a little shopping, and catch up with my e-mails (including sending an mp3 of one of my best songs, "I Should Be Singin'" to one of my musicians).

A few minutes after Rueben got home, dinner was served. After dinner, Rueben started clearing the table. But as he walked back and forth clearing things away and talking to me as he did so, I became a bit uncomfortable when I noticed he was not clearing away MY plate, used napkin, fork, anything. I could have suffered in silence, but I believe in speaking up and letting someone know when I have a concern. I said, "I am finished too." He let me know that he had every intention of clearing my things away, but he just hadn't gotten around to it yet. Then he got right to it. I am glad I didn't just quietly wait and wait and make myself increasingly uncomfortable. If something is on your mind, say something. I wouldn't get upset or become a nag. Just be matter of fact. It will help your relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment